Tuesday, September 12, 2006

How Star Wars missed it.

Before I begin I must clarify that this post will not be a rant on how the 3 prequels to Star Wars.. uh.. Blew goats. It has been said time and again how "Episodes I-III" did not live up to their predecessors.

This post is simply how in Episode VI, "Return of the Jedi," George Lucas missed the opportunity for the greatest movie moment ever.

First a little background:

The scene I am referencing to is the final confrontation between the Sith and Jedi. It is Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader (Anakin Skywalker) & Emperor Palpatine. The scene goes something like this:

Luke and Darth are fighting and Luke gets the upper hand (by cutting off Vader's hand), and is assured a victory when he stops.

The Emperor says something like "Destroy him, and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete. And take your place at my side."

Luke responds, "No, I am a Jedi like my father before me."

Emperor: "Then you die!" and nukes Luke with hand lightning (I guess that I what it is called.)

Vader steps in, and in his dyeing act tosses the emperor down a shaft.

That's it, that's the big battle between the most powerful fighter in Lucas' universe... Kind of lame.

Not to mention that the Emperor can fly in Episode III, which defuncts the whole falling down a shaft way of Dying.




Here is how it should have gone.

Luke and Darth are fighting and Luke gets the upper hand (by cutting off Vader's hand), and is assured a victory when he stops.

The Emperor says something like "Destroy him, and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete. And take your place at my side."

Luke responds, "No, I am a Jedi like my father before me."

Emperor: "Then you die!" and nukes Luke with hand lightning

Vader steps in, (here is the change) and the emperor turns his focus on Vader and nukes him.

The wounded Luke watches helplessly as his father dies.

The emperor laughs maniacally, standing triumphant over both Skywalkers.

Pan to Luke who's breathing slows, and a sense of calm comes over him. He floats (not rises) but actually floats to his feet as he summons his lightsaber to his hand. (Unbeknownst to the Emperor, by the stress of watching his father die, Luke has now fully become one with the Force.)

The Emperor laughs and sends a bolt towards Luke, who deflects it away by a wave of his hand.

The emperor tries again with no avail, Luke reaches up and grabs the Emperor in the trade mark Skywalker mind-choke-hold.

The emperor breaks free and scrambles for his light saber. A saber fight ensues as Luke counters the Emperor's every attack with ease, almost toying with him.

Luke smashes the Emperor's saber with the Force and lifts him in the air. The sounds of breaking bones is heard as the Emperor's body becomes twisted.

Luke has some would be famous line, like "Hello, my name is Luke Skywalker, You killed my father prepare to die" (Princess Bride) "You must suffer for the pain you have caused," "Your reign of terror is at an end!" "I am the last of Jedi!" Or something which would have been quoted for ages as the ultimate killing line, simply because it was in this movie.

Now the broken emperor can be tossed down a shaft (If Lucas needed it so badly.)

I know this would have added a few minutes to the film, (They could edit out some dumb Ewok scenes.)

They could even add that Luke destroys the Death Star with his mind or guides Wedges Antilles in his x-wing, with Lando Calrissian in the Millennium Falcon to the core of said battle station.

If you Luke at the poster for Star Wars (Episode IV) you see Luke standing with light saber held high, but this never happens. He needed a moment were it all linked together, he still seemed wimpy at the end, and only luck saved him form the Emperor.

I would have loved to see some dominance over the Emperor, I mean he had earned it. I know this is all a pipe dream, but still a classy idea.

But this is just my opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home